Monday, November 9, 2009

Should I get my CPA?

I have recently been looking for a Controller, Chief Financial Officer or Director of Finance position. I had two close opportunities. Both companies decided after three interviews to not fill the position, but rather wait (I imagine for the economy to show stronger signs of recovery). Looking at the jobs available in the accounting arena, they seem to all require a CPA. Even private companies that don't have the SEC reporting requirements or SOX requirements are asking for a CPA. I am a managerial accountant, I have over 20 years of business experience in accounting and finance. My problem is that it is all pre-Enron, pre-Sarbanne-Oxley. Perhaps, that was when people understood their Fiduciary duties and had decency, ethics and honesty!

I have many friends that are CPA's. Yet, many do not get involved in management or consultative accounting, or work creatively to design changes to processes. They record the transactions, certify the financial statements and/or prepare the tax returns. I asked a friend, who is a CPA, whether I should go back to school or take on-line courses and testing to get the CPA. She advised that most likely, if they are looking for a CPA, it still will not be enough. She said the next hurdle presented in the job requirement is that the candidate have Big Four experience.
Remember when there was the Big Eight? Then, there was the Big Four, so just trend that!

What did the Big Four do to preserve the economy, to protect stockholders from the Maddoffs of the world or from the golden parachutes, huge compensation packages and outrageous bonus compensation plans? Why are all these big firms, the auto industry, the housing industry, the mortgage industry all belly up. Where were the Big Four to advise them? Where were the regulators from the SEC? Where were the internal and external auditors and the SOX implementers? What good did all the CPA's do to help these companies? Frankly, if the CPA has been put into a square box to do taxes and audits and forensic accounting, it's not my cup of tea. I am too creative for that. I think I answered my own question, but your input is greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simba

Simba
Simba: "Get off that computer already!"